Why choose commodity indices?
Our commodity indices track baskets of commodities to reflect price movements and are recognized as a major barometer of commodity prices and markets.
Designed to provide exposure to the global commodities industry, all indices have a strong connection to the Commodity Research Bureau (CRB®) name, and many are tracked by Exchange Traded Funds and other derivatives.
Refinitiv/CoreCommodity CRB Indices are administered by Refinitiv Benchmark Services Limited (RBSL), authorized as a Benchmark Administrator under EU BMR.
Refinitiv is the administrator of numerous indices and benchmarks.
Refinitiv assigned Refinitiv Benchmark Services (UK) Limited (‘RBSL’) to be the regulated administrator of certain benchmarks, such as those used within the EU and thus caught by the EU Benchmark Regulation (EU BMR). RBSL is authorized by the FCA, as listed on the ESMA Register, to administer benchmarks under the EU BMR.
The following benchmarks have been moved to be administered by RBSL since the end of December 2019. The migration has happened therefore it’s okay for users to use them prior to the benchmark statement being published in mid-January 2020.
- WM/Reuters Spot, Forward and NDF benchmark rates
- Refinitiv/CoreCommodity CRB® Index
- Refinitiv Convertible Indices
Going forward, we will continue to carry out our commitment to EU BMR.
Note: For those benchmarks administered by a non-EU entity within Refinitiv (i.e. a third country administrator), Refinitiv has until the end of the BMR Extension Transition period (Dec 2021) to migrate those benchmarks into an authorized benchmark administrator (i.e. RBSL).
Those Refinitiv benchmarks that fall under the BMR Extension Transition period and are under consideration for migration before the end of 2021 are:
- Tokyo Swap Rates (administered by RAPL, Refinitiv Asia Pacific Limited)
- Refinitiv Local Currency Indices
- Refinitiv IX Global ESG Equal Weighted Index
- Refinitiv IX Global ESG High Dividend Low Volatility Equal Weighted Index
- Refinitiv IX Western Europe Small & Mid Cap Index
- Refinitiv GL Large/Mid D&I Ex Controversial Weapons Equal Weight Index
- Refinitiv Global Equal Opportunities Select Index
- Refinitiv Global Resource Protection Select Index
- Refinitiv Europe Equal Opportunities Select Index
- Refinitiv Country, Regional and Sector Indices
- Refinitiv Diversity & Inclusion Index
- Refinitiv Eurozone ESG Select Index
Refinitiv will perform further assessments to the following Refinitiv benchmarks and notify the users in later stage whether Refinitiv will migrate them by Dec 2021:
- Refinitiv VNIBOR USD Benchmark
- Refinitiv VNIBOR VND Benchmark
- Refinitiv VNDFX Spot and Forward Rates
- Refinitiv VNDFX VND Reference Rate
Features & benefits
What you get with commodity indices
Recognized as a major barometer of commodity prices and markets.
Our Equal Weight Commodity Index is the CRB index in its original equal weight form from 1957.
All of our indices adhere to the IOSCO principles for financial benchmarks.
The Refinitiv CoreCommodity CRB index will be compliant with the European Benchmark Regulation as of 1 January 2020.
How it works
Commodity indices in more detail
Refinitiv / CoreCommodity – CRB® Index
(Will be administered by RBSL by 1 January 2020)
A basket of 19 commodities, including energy contracts, agriculture, precious metals, and industrial metals, the Index acts as a representative indicator of commodity markets.
Refinitiv / CoreCommodity CRB® Non-Energy Index
Commodity indices with a higher exposure to agricultural commodities and metals. Crude oil, heating oil, natural gas, and RBOB gasoline are removed from the standard index.
Refinitiv / Core Commodity CRB® Non-Agriculture and Livestock Index
This index provides enhanced exposure to metals and energy (excluding agriculture and livestock).
Refinitiv CRB® Commodity Equity Indices
Provides exposure to commodity related companies, with specific breakdowns such as agriculture, energy, and industrial metals, and comparable exposure to commodity prices.
Refinitiv Equal Weight Continuous Commodity Index
Features 17 equally weighted commodities to provide a more even distribution into the major commodity sectors.
Find out more
We're here for you
Have questions? We're here to help. Talk to a real person and get the answers that matter most.