Why choose commodity indices?
Our commodity indices track baskets of commodities to reflect price movements and are recognized as a major barometer of commodity prices and markets.
Designed to provide exposure to the global commodities industry, all indices have a strong connection to the Commodity Research Bureau (CRB®) name, and many are tracked by Exchange Traded Funds and other derivatives.
Refinitiv Limited (‘RL’) is the administrator of numerous indices and benchmarks.
RL assigned Refinitiv Benchmark Services (UK) Limited (‘RBSL’) to be the regulated administrator of certain benchmarks, such as those used within the EU and thus caught by the EU Benchmark Regulation (EU BMR). RBSL is authorized by the FCA, as listed on the ESMA Register, to administer benchmarks under the EU BMR.
As a next step, the following benchmarks will move to be administered by RBSL by the end of December 2019:
- WM/Reuters Spot, Forward and NDF benchmark rates
- Thomson Reuters/CoreCommodity CRB® Index
- Thomson Reuters Convertible Indices
Note: For those benchmarks administered by a non-EU entity within the global Refinitiv Group (i.e. a third country administrator), RL has until the end of the BMR Extension Transition period (Dec 2021) to migrate those benchmarks into an authorized benchmark administrator (i.e. RBSL).
Those RL benchmarks that fall under the BMR Extension Transition period and are under consideration for migration before the end of 2021 are:
- Thomson Reuters Local Currency Indices
- Thomson Reuters IX Global ESG Equal Weighted Index
- Thomson Reuters IX Global ESG High Dividend Low Volatility Equal Weighted Index
- Thomson Reuters IX Western Europe Small & Mid Cap Index
- Thomson Reuters GL Large/Mid D&I Ex Controversial Weapons Equal Weight Index
- Thomson Reuters Global Equal Opportunities Select Index
- Thomson Reuters Global Resource Protection Select Index
- Thomson Reuters Europe Equal Opportunities Select Index
- Thomson Reuters Country, Regional and Sector Indices
- Thomson Reuters Diversity & Inclusion Index
Features & benefits
What you get with commodity indices
Recognized as a major barometer of commodity prices and markets.
Our Equal Weight Commodity Index is the CRB index in its original equal weight form from 1957.
All of our indices adhere to the IOSCO principles for financial benchmarks.
How it works
Commodity indices in more detail
Thomson Reuters / CoreCommodity – CRB® Index
A basket of 19 commodities, including energy contracts, agriculture, precious metals, and industrial metals, the Index acts as a representative indicator of commodity markets.
Thomson Reuters / CoreCommodity CRB® Non-Energy Index
Commodity indices with a higher exposure to agricultural commodities and metals. Crude oil, heating oil, natural gas, and RBOB gasoline are removed from the standard index.
Thomson Reuters / Core Commodity CRB® Non-Agriculture and Livestock Index
This index provides enhanced exposure to metals and energy (excluding agriculture and livestock).
Thomson Reuters CRB® Commodity Equity Indices
Provides exposure to commodity related companies, with specific breakdowns such as agriculture, energy, and industrial metals, and comparable exposure to commodity prices.
Thomson Reuters Equal Weight Continuous Commodity Index
Features 17 equally weighted commodities to provide a more even distribution into the major commodity sectors.
Find out more
We're here for you
Have questions? We're here to help. Talk to a real person and get the answers that matter most.