Adverse Media Screening
Access quality controlled, relevant pre- and post-conviction adverse media information from reliable sources on individuals and entities starting from the earliest indication of potential risk through to any conviction.
Adverse media screening forms a crucial part of customer or third-party due diligence processes to uncover risks indicating a party’s potential involvement in alleged criminal activity which could bring financial, reputational or other types of risks to your business.
What is adverse media?
Adverse media, or negative news, is unfavourable news or information that can be found in multiple reference sources. It is generally considered to include allegations published by news sources and other publications that report on convictions for, or alleged involvement in, money-laundering, corruption, sanctions exposure, threat financing or other unlawful activity.
Ensuring your organisation has access to quality adverse media content, both structured and unstructured, is essential to being able to identify potential risks and make informed decisions during onboarding and on-going monitoring in order to comply with laws and regulations and drive your business forward with confidence.
What are the common challenges?
Variety and credibility of news sources
Risk information can be found within press releases and notices published by law enforcement agencies, tax authorities and other government agencies, which may not always be found in searches of the free web news.
Volume of news
In the digital age, there is no shortage of available news, but the sheet volume of information to be searched and analysed can be overwhelming and it is often difficult, despite through efforts, to separate relevant news from noise.
Traditional media screening systems can often suffer from limited matching capabilities.
Varying definitions of Adverse Media
Adverse media definitions and risk screening requirements can vary between countries and organisations based on national legislation, industry, policies and other factors. The scope of some organisations’ compliance programmes goes further and considers various reputational factors, or wider issues like human trafficking and Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) matters as part of their adverse media screening programmes.
Find the clear signal in the noise
Our solutions will help you manage potentially adverse media in line with your compliance obligations and in-house policies.
- Our World-Check Risk Intelligence data includes “structured” adverse media, displayed within the database in our highly structured format helping you identify entities and individuals reported in the reputable media as being accused, questioned, investigated, arrested, charged, or convicted of specific offences that World-Check monitors.
- Tackle the challenge of dealing with large amounts of “unstructured” media content with the use of our World-Check One Media Check, a highly customisable screening tool that uses intelligent tagging and natural language processing to improve efficiency and relevancy of returns search results.
- Get assurance of quality, structured, vetted adverse media information, in addition to sanctions, law enforcement, regulatory enforcement and official government sources, we use reputable media sources in line with our strict inclusion criteria and guidelines.
- Choose which records to screen against pursuant to your own policies, procedures and risk-based approach – by setting parameters to filter via secondary identifiers, keywords, categories, sub-categories, location and more.
- With the Special Interest Categories feature, you can select and filter the categories relevant to your business’s risk-based approach and legal or regulatory requirements. By being able to select topics of interest, according to your specific needs, you will get a far more granular view of potential risks associated to both the pre- and post-conviction records included in the World-Check database.
240countries and territories covered
50,000new records added monthly
Why our adverse media screening is used worldwide
We ensure a range of convenient and varied delivery methods for our data, including data feeds, API's and our flagship risk platform World-check One.
We utilise advanced AI capabilities to help pinpoint information that is most important to you, helping you filter out the noise.
We have been delivering timely and accurate adverse media data for over two decades and is used by the world’s largest financial institutions and companies.
Learn more with our adverse media screening resources
We're here for you
Have questions? We're here to help. Talk to a real person and get the answers that matter most.