Sanctions are protective restrictive measures, such as an asset freeze or block, investment or travel ban, financial sanctions, arms and trade embargoes.
In 2020, 50 countries, international or regional bodies are applying sanction programs. Sanctions can be applied against but not limited to a country, entity, individual, organization and vessel for example.
There are varying sanctions types including: explicit sanctions, where the subject is named; narrative or implicit sanctions, which don’t specifically name an individual or company extend to entities covered by a narrative statement on a sanctions program due to their connections to the main sanctioned entity; and sectoral sanctions.
In early 2020 there were a total of more than 34,000 explicit sanctions across more than 280 sanction programs, showing an increase of 62% since September 2017.
What is sanctions screening?
Sanction compliance poses a challenge to organizations as not only is it an ever-changing landscape, but there is no finite sanctions list to follow and organizations must nevertheless ensure that they do not transact with any blocked entity.
Screening for sanctions risk is a mandatory requirement for regulated entities across all sectors and is a critical step in the know your customer or KYC process. Moreover, penalties for breaching sanctions can be severe. In 2019 the US Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control meted out fines amounting to over US$1.2 billion.
Ensuring your organization has a robust sanctions-screening program in place is essential. Access to comprehensive and accurate sanctions risk data is therefore critical.
Need help to comply with the stringent sanction regulations?
Our sanctions-screening data contains comprehensive coverage of all known sanction bodies and includes more than 280 sanction programs. In addition, we also extensively cover narrative or implicit sanctions as well as sectoral sanctions.
- Get help to comply with your regulatory obligations with the ability to screen against up-to-date and accurate sanctions information.
- Significantly reduce your sanctions-screening workload, as our records are deduplicated - each subject has a unique record. All information by the sanction issuers are available on that record, together with official sources for verification, this greatly reduces the number of records needing to be screened.
- Choose which records to screen against to match your own risk-based approach. policies, procedures and regulations for sanction compliance, as all sanctioned records are keyworded for easy filtering.
- Tackle the challenges of complying with narrative, implicit and sectoral sanctions when there is no finite sanctions list to follow. We have applied significant further qualitative research to uncover those entities and individuals who fall within the scope of these sanctions. To simplify targeted data extraction, records which are subject to narrative sanctions are tagged with ‘special’ keywords.
- Identify sanctioned securities and screen for risk all on a single platform by screening against our regularly updated lists of issuers and securities linked to sanctioned domiciles, companies and individuals.
- View relationships and associations identified in one record. Where further information is available from an approved source, or within the sanction lists themselves, our records are enhanced with links to the associated records and verifiable sources listed.
- Get assurance of quality sanction data. Our specialist research unit monitors major sanction lists 24/7, 365 days of the year. On an annual basis our sanctions processes undergo ISAE 3000 design-effectiveness certification, on the completeness, accuracy and validity of our sanctions updates.
- Choose convenient and varied delivery methods to suit your business needs including datafile downloads, APIs and platform options.
- Enjoy peace of mind by using a trusted provider – we have been delivering timely and accurate sanctions-screening data for nearly two decades and are used by the world’s largest financial institutions and companies.
- Obtain assurance when you need to know more. We can assist you with our range of due diligence reports offering comprehensive background checks on individuals and companies.
Contact us to find out how we can help you with your sanction compliance challenges.
Why we are trusted worldwide
Discover the benefits of working with us for your sanctions compliance.
We follow the most stringent guidelines for research methodology and inclusion criteria – applying rigorous quality control.
With research centers on all five continents, we provide around-the-clock monitoring of sanction lists, regulatory and enforcement lists, as well as thousands of reliable media sources, so you have accurate and up-to-date information.
Hundreds of specific keywords for our data help you filter and drill down for focused screening and reduce false positives.
Learn more with our sanctions screening insights
We're here for you
Have questions? We're here to help. Talk to a real person and get the answers that matter most.