- Sustainable Finance Solutions
- Corporate Governance: Top 100 leading companies
Top 100 companies leading in corporate governance
Governance is perhaps the most important of the three ESG pillars. Find out what global firms and industries are leading in this space.
Discover the corporate governance top 100 list
Here are some highlights from the list of top performing companies based on Refinitiv corporate governance scores:
- United States, United Kingdom, Australia, and Japan have the most companies scoring highly on governance practices.
- The top 3 companies on our list are Royal Dutch Shell (Netherlands), NK Rosneft’ (Russia), and Johnson Matthey (United Kingdom).
- Business sectors with the highest number of companies scoring well on governance practices include Mineral Resources, Banking and Investment Services, Energy - Fossil Fuels, and Food & Beverages.
Refinitiv's corporate governance top 100
Explore the full list of the companies leading in corporate governance as of February 2021
The corporate governance methodology
Our ESG data covers 10,000+ companies, over 80% of the global market cap, and 450+ metrics. We cover 152 governance-related metrics and calculate three category pillars:
The CSR strategy category score reflects a company’s practices to communicate that it integrates economic, social, and environmental dimensions into its day-to-day decision-making.
The management category score measures a company’s commitment and effectiveness towards following best practice corporate governance principles.
The shareholder category score measures a company’s effectiveness towards equal treatment of shareholders and the use of anti-takeover devices.
Corporate governance spotlight: the global upward trend
Global corporate governance scores are up 13%
The corporate governance scores reflect the CSR and governance practices that companies have in place - from shareholder rights to board structure. When analyzing 3,611 active companies from our ESG database, we found that the global governance scores have increased by 13% from five years ago.
This positive trend is present in every region, while some countries and sectors lead the way and demonstrate particularly impressive results. Europe displays the highest scores across all key categories, while Asia-Pacific shows a significant uptick in growth rates.
Yet, there’s still much room for improvement. Governance should remain the key focus for all companies and governments looking to ensure their long term sustainable development.
Our expertise in corporate governance in ESG
Showcase your firm's ESG data
Our ESG Contributor Tool helps you verify and provide timely updates on your ESG initiatives to investors and other stakeholders. The tool helps you showcase a deep range of environmental, social and governance data from your firm. We pride ourselves in our auditable ESG data, investors can trust the data we provide due to the 'click to source' capabilities within Eikon. The tool allows you to:
- Ensure the financial community has access to the timeliest ESG data on your company
- Contribute your company ESG data for the latest fiscal year
- Review and edit the historical ESG data that is already available for your company
- Communicate more effectively with your stakeholders.
We're here for you
Have questions? We're here to help. Talk to a real person and get the answers that matter most.